It’s school registration time! Houston-area ISDs provide clear directions on how to register or re-enroll your child into school. Prior to filling out their online applications, we’ve provided guidance to help you choose and organize which school and program is the right fit for your child. We’ve included direct links to school district registration pages as well as a list of questions to help with the research process.
How do I choose a school?
Top 10 Things to Consider When Choosing a School for Your Child
1. Is the school located near your home? Neighborhoods and communities stay connected when there is a strong public school system.
2. Are the teachers at the school certified? All public school teachers are certified by the state to ensure effective and reliable education.
3. Are there counselors and nurses on staff? Public schools offer counseling to support both teachers and students, while the school nurses offer on-campus health care for students’ physical safety.
4. Is the curriculum multifaceted? Public schools’ diverse curriculum challenges students to engage in learning and think critically.
5. Is technology used in schools? Public school classes provide a balance of state-of-the art technology with hands-on learning.
8. What after-school programs are available? Public schools may offer after school and before school programs directly through the school campus or by partnering with after school or childcare businesses.
9. Do teachers have ongoing professional development? Professional development for teachers in public schools ensures up-to-date and innovative teaching strategies and tools.
10. Is there transparency? Public schools provide unparalleled transparency for accountability to the public as well as communication between parents, students, administration, and faculty.
What information do I need for registration?
- Student(s) Social Security Number(s)
- Previous School Information
- Emergency Contact Information
- Contact Information for Student’s Physician
- Information Regarding any Medical Conditions
- Information Regarding any Food Allergies
- Immunization Records
- Birth Certificate
- Proof of Address
How do I show residency if I have not yet moved to the area?
If you have a binding contract on a home with a move-in or closing date before the start of the next school year, you will simply need to show the contract to complete registration once you assume residency.
Who can register/transfer a student’s enrollment?
As a requirement of law, only a biological parent, court-appointed legal guardian, or another person with legal control of the child may enroll a student into a public school district.
What if my child requires special services?
If your child has a disability or you suspect they may need special services, contact the Special Education department in the school your child will attend. They can evaluate your child to ensure he/she receives the accommodations they need.
DISTRICT REGISTRATION LINKS